#WomenDoingWell: How to Conquer Charity Galas.
Gowns, girlfriends and giving back-might be one of the best triple threats out there. And with the winter temps scaring us to stay inside, one of the best ways to have a fun (and meaningful) night on the town lies in the charity gala. Here, we’ll give you a few quick tips on how to work it on a young professional budget.
GRAB A TICKET
Of course the goal of a gala is to raise funds and awareness, so ticket prices typically aren’t comparable to an afternoon matinee. Fortunately, most will include cocktails and hors d’oeuvres, entertainment and the option to participate in silent and live auctions. A few upcoming events are below and others are easy to find through your city’s young professional groups. Send us yours and we’ll add to the list:
- The Gold Gala to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
- New York, NY: 2/28
- The Corey C. Griffin Charitable Foundation Boston Winter Ball
- Boston, MA: 2/28
- Jumpstart Young Professionals Board Adventures in Wonderland Gala
- Boston, MA: 3/7
- The Miss Pink Pageant to benefit breast cancer research
- Danvers, MA: 3/14
- The Young Professionals Red Ball to benefit the American Heart Association
- New York, NY: 4/24
GET THE GOWN
Young professionals and evening-wear; doesn’t exactly sound practical, and flipping through the racks at Lord & Taylor can drive anyone to an early Sweet Green lunch. Luckily, there are some wallet-friendly rental options that Cinderella (or Prince Charming) moment. As they say-fake it ‘til you make it, and try these:
- Rent the Runway: two size options on your doorstep days before your event, and options if it just doesn’t work out
- The Black Tux: everything from shoes to bow tie (just remember to get your own dress socks)
Don’t know about you, but every time we plop down in front of the mirror vying to “do something different” with our look for a big night out, we almost always blink back the same smokey eye. You’ve got the ticket, the dress, why not finish if off the right way? Here’s a few ways to get a low-cost, yet long-lasting look:
- Hair-if you haven’t been to a blow dry bar, now’s the time:
- Makeup-grab a chair or just browse Youtube:
2015 gala season is just beginning-send us your events and we’ll add them to our post. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: #WomenDoingWell: How to Conquer Charity Galas.