The Super Seed we all Need in our Diet: Chia
If there is one type of seed you should incorporate into your diet it is the Chia Seed. These seeds have become widely known as a superfood and are becoming very trendy in the health food world. Here are 10 reasons why you should have Chia Seeds if not everyday, at least a few times a week:
1. Chia Seeds are LOADED with antioxidants & minerals
2. Great source of healthy fats: Omega 3’s and 5’s
3. Filled with Fiber: 1 serving contains 11 grams
4. High in quality protein
5. Chia seeds aid in weight loss because they absorb 10-12 times their weight keeping you full longer
6. Improve blood pressure and increase healthy cholesterol while lowering bad cholesterol
7. High in bone nutrients
8. Gluten Free and can be eaten whole unlike flax seeds
9. Regulate insulin and blood sugar levels
10. Great source of calcium: contains 5 times more than milk
Chia seeds can easily be added into smoothies, stirred into yogurts, or sprinkled on top or into baked goods. Chia seeds can also be used in place of eggs to lower cholesterol and increase the nutrient content of foods and baked goods. To make the egg replacement, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let sit for 15 minutes.
My new favorite way to get my daily dosage is by making Vanilla Chia Pudding. This recipe is SO easy to make and can be made in a ton of flavor variations.
Simple Vanilla Chia Pudding Ingredients:
3 tbs chia seeds
1 cup of nut or coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp honey (optional)
any fruits of choice for toppings
Additional Ingredients for Matcha Green Tea Chia Pudding:
1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
1. Simply mix the coconut milk or nut milk with the vanilla extract, matcha, and chia seeds in a small container that has a lid (mason jar, etc)
2. Stir every so often for 15-3o minutes
3. Store in your fridgerator overnight with the lid sealed
4. In the morning, top with fruit, nuts, a scoop of nut butter, coconut flakes, etc.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: MICHELLE MCGUINNESS
I work as a Financial Analyst at Boston Scientific and live in Natick, MA. I wanted a project outside of my 9-5 responsibilities and started Sunshine & Superfoods as a way to share my healthy recipes and fitness ideas with friends and family. I am obsessed with trying the new fitness classes, I love cooking & experimenting with food, trying new restaurants & eateries, traveling, and hanging with family and friends. You can find me in an early morning PureBarre class or strolling through my local Whole Foods.
Read more about and from the author: Michelle McGuinness’ WiLab Profile