The Final Countdown: 5 Impromptu NYE Parties for 2015
Happy New Year’s Eve!
Let’s toast to 2014 and the year that was (or wasn’t), and brace ourselves for a most excellent 2015! Perhaps, dear New Yorkers, you haven’t quite sorted out your party plans as we all prepare to jump into the new year—and that’s ok with WiLab too. We’ve assembled our favorite options for your last-minute agendas, be it fireworks over Coney Island, a Brooklyn warehouse party, or an open bar in the East Village.
With an overwhelming number of possibilities, we’ve whittled it down to a grab bag of just five—totally manageable for your final countdown decision!
1) New Year’s Eve at Aviv: And now for something completely different, a New Year’s celebration at the newest Brooklyn DIY venue, Aviv. Freshly opened a month ago, the night will be jam packed with sets from The Gradients, Celestial Shore, Palberta, and more. What could be better, you ask? Try free pizza at opening and a free High Life toast at midnight, can’t be beat. 7 pm – 4 am. Tickets, $8.
2) The Cityfox Experience—Studio AV 2015 at TBA Location: Three of Europe’s biggest DJs will be taking over a soon-to-be-announced warehouse in Brooklyn– Âme, Mano Le Tough, and Baikal. It’s going to be an all-night spectacle that you definitely don’t want to miss out on. Rest up now, kids. 11 pm – 12 pm, Jan. 1st. $90 + fees.
3) NYE Open Bar at Durden Bar: You can’t go wrong with an open bar new year’s celebration in NYC (you gotta do at least one to cross it off your NY residency bucket list). Come ring in 2015 at this Fight Club-themed bar, which was also the site of WiLab’s holiday party—a free champagne toast at midnight will seal the deal for a solid start to your resolutions. 9 pm– close. $60 for four hour open bar.
4) Coney Island New Year’s Extravaganza and Fireworks: Coney Island will be inaugurating a new New Year’s Eve tradition and a lights show to rival that of the fanfare across the East River. Featuring a midnight display on the brand-spankin’ new $2 million lighting system of the iconic Parachute Jump, festivities will also include sideshow performances, fireworks, and the traditional polar bear dip on New Year’s afternoon. 9 pm – onwards. Free.
5) Cameo New Year’s Eve 2015!: Hosting the most appropriately named nine-piece disco band (Midnight Magic) AND a number of DJs (Storm Queen’s Morgan Geist, LCD Soundsystem’s Pat Mahoney), there’s no way this won’t be an NYE celebration for the books. This “kaleidoscopic arts hub” is the perfect spot to bring in what will probably be the best year of your life. 9 pm–close. $60.
HAPPY 2015 AND BE SAFE! Share your photos with the Women’s iLab community by using #womensilab.
Claire hails from the Midwest and currently resides in New York City. She’s a nonprofit fundraising and events guru, having worked for EDF, MoMA, MFA Boston, and CJP of Boston.She’s especially interested in the intersection of tech and museums; you can often find her gallivanting in New York’s finest museums and galleries or as an Assistant Organizer of the #ArtsTech meetup. She studied Museum Studies at Tufts University and has her BA in History & Philosophy from St. Louis University. Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Website Read more from and about the author: Claire Malloy’s WiLab Profile